Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Saturday, May 15, 2010

Relay For Life - Our Attempt to Make a Difference

This year's Relay for Life was a little different for me than last year's. Last year it was all about Kaitlyn and celebrating how far she had come in her treatment. I was still walking around in the "fog" of my daughter's cancer.

This year, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Not only were we celebrating Kaitlyn's survivorship, but looking forward to the end of her treatments all together. I was able to be more aware of others and "the fight" in general. It was nice to talk to other survivors and realize how deeply this disease has touched SO MANY people.

Our team raised $1,308.00 for Shrewsbury's Relay. Mike single-handedly raised $100 Friday night at the Relay making balloon animals...GO DODO THE CLOWN!!!!!

Team G-Squad

We also set up Kaitlyn's Lemonade Stand on Friday night and Kaitlyn was happy to serve all of her "customers" with a smile!
Beatles For Sale rocked the house on Friday night and our tent site just happened to be FRONT ROW for the show!!! I don't know how that happened, but I liked it!!! Thanks for playing guys, YOU ROCK!!!
DoDo the Clown, making balloon animals for a great cause...I think he needs a slogan...and an award...He put on his clown outfit at 5:30pm and started making balloon animals almost immediately. He didn't stop until about 10pm. DoDo, you're THE BEST!


Kaitlyn took her Survivor Lap at 6pm, hand in hand with her Meme and Pop. I walked behind her taking as many pictures as I could get. I asked her if she would smile for me and she replied, "Nope, too busy!"...LOL. She ran the last leg of her lap. And I cried most of the way around the track.

Later, she took another lap with her best friend, and cousin, Sophie. These two are like two peas in a pod. They are so young, but to hear them talk to each other, you would think they are two old ladies who have been the best of friends all their lives. Katie is so lucky to have a cousin so close in age.

The luminaria ceremony was at 9pm. I was a little nervous about letting Kaitlyn carry a candle, but the second we stepped outside the tent the wind blew it out.

Kaitlyn had 3 luminaria with her name on it around the track this year. Thank you to everyone who bought a luminaria in Kaitlyn's honor.
We finally got Kaitlyn to sleep at about 11pm. Mike went into the tent with her. Around 11:30pm a storm started to move in and I woke Mike up to ask him if he thought we should pack up and go home for the night. We watched the sky for a short while and then decided it was best to go home. We packed up the blankets and valuables and went home for the night. I'm glad that we did, I guess it got pretty bad in Shrewsbury and they moved all the campers into the gymnasium for an hour or so. I was glad to have slept in my bed.

When we returned in the morning, it was REALLY windy and we were worried about the canopies flying away, so we started to take some things down. Unfortunately, it was too windy to set up Katie's Lemonade Stand on Saturday, but that allowed us some more time for walking laps and doing other fun things.

Maggie, Katie & Rachel all bundled up in the morning...

I missed most of the theme laps in the middle of the night, so I decided to take a lap with all my theme attire on!!! LOL

Kaitlyn had her face painted...

And she got to play on the obstacle course....this was the highlight of her morning...she DID NOT want to leave this area.

I love the sweatshirt...VICTORY...that's right...we will settle for NOTHING LESS!!!

If you were not able to join us this year, please consider doing it next year. It's a great cause and we really do have a lot of fun. Until next May...REMEMBER: THERE IS NO FINISH LINE UNTIL WE FIND A CURE!!!


Total Shrewsbury Relay Dollars Raised: $72,000 and counting
Total Team (G-Squad) Dollars Raised: $1,308.00
Mike & I raised: $238.00
Pictures taken (by me): 529

No comments: