Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Tuesday, August 24, 2010

First Day of School!!!

Today is a bittersweet day. Kaitlyn's first day of school brings up SO many emotions for me.

It was this time of year, 2 years ago when we tried this preschool thing the first time and our lives got derailed by leukemia. If you remember... Katie went to school on Tuesday, had a blood test at the pediatrician on Wednesday, back to school Thursday morning, received the blood results Thursday afternoon which led us to a bone marrow biopsy on Friday morning and a 2 week-long hospital admittance Friday afternoon. Life derailed.

So, here we are again, our girl heading off to school, except this time, it's not just her first day of school. It feels like so much more to me right now. To look at her, you would never know what she has been through in the past 2 years, which is amazing. I thank God every day for her health. Today feels like we have come full circle. She is starting school and soon she will be ending treatment. It all feels very hopeful, like a new start on life.

She was so excited last night about her first day of school that she could barely get to sleep. She was even more excited this morning, asking, "Is it time to go yet?" every two seconds. Mike made some special "First Day of School" pancakes which she quickly ate and asked again, "Is it time to go yet?" I told her that she had to get dressed and let me take some pictures and then it would be time to go. She really wanted to go because she even cooperated with the picture taking...lol.

It was kind of drizzly outside, so we took our first set of pictures in the sunroon.

Then, when we were leaving, the weather wasn't too bad, so I couldn't resist the obligatory "first day of school on the front stairs in front of the house" picture. This one was too cute... When did she get so grown up???
And this one when her patience wore off and she just wanted to GO!!!
Mike & Katie walking into the school.


Mike will be the one dropping her off on a regular basis and I will be picking her up. For starters, she will be going to school from 9am - 3pm. I think 6 hours is long enough for her to start with.

Orientation lasted from 10am - 11:30am. During that time, they had the kids sit in "circle time" and sing a "welcome song". Here is Katie in circle time....
The teacher told the kids that when it was their turn and they sang the song to them, they could do anything that they wanted to do in the middle of the circle. Most of the kids either remained seated or just stood in the spot they were sitting. But, not my Katie...she stood up, went to the center of the circle and did a little dance. You could tell that she was getting a litle shy at the end of her dance, but she did awesome. I give her a lot of credit for getting up and dancing in front of all those kids AND their parents...I was totally impressed with her gusto! Especially since she was the last one in the circle to have her chance and none of the other kids did ANYTHING! She totally is a leader for sure..I love it!!!
After circle time, it was time to do handprints. Katie got to paint my hand for my handprint and I got to paint her hand for her handprint. My hand is still pink!!!
Mike, Katie & I in her Preschool II classroom.
When we got to the school, we were told that the full day kids would be able to stay the whole day today, but I didn't know that ahead of time. I hadn't packed a lunch or a jacket, so I figured we would just be taking her home when the orientation was over. I was wrong. When it was almost time to go, I gave Katie "the warning" and she said that she was having too much fun and didn't want to leave yet. So, I asked her teacher, Miss Becky, if it would be possible to get Katie a lunch. She called the director of the program and arranged for Katie to have the school lunch. That taken care of, I felt okay in leaving her there until 3pm. Katie assured us that "everything was under control" and that she would be okay without us there...lol. I was sure she would be, but it was me that I was worried about. Why was I the only one crying when we left? Wasn't SHE supposed to be the one crying...What the heck??!!

While she was at school, I was able to get some work done. But, I also decided to make her some cookies for when she got home from school. This was waiting for her on the table when she got home from school. I told her that bunny was busy while she was at school. She asked me, "Mama, are you kidding?"...lol.


And so starts another chapter of life. I am so incredibly proud of Katie for how she has handled everything that she has had to endure up to this point in her 4 & 1/2 years of life. I don't think I could ever convey with words how incredibly proud I am of her and how special I think she is. I am so thankful to be her mom. Happy first day of school Katie!!!

1 comment:

Michele said...

How cool! So exciting! I bet she had a blast!