Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Sunday, August 29, 2010

Two years since Katie's leukemia diagnosiss

This weekend, we decided to take some time away as a family. We decided at the last minute (Friday) that we were going to go camping in New Hampshire this weekend (Sat & Sun nights). So, I made some calls and got us a reservation at Glen-Ellis Falls Campground in Glen, NH.

We got up bright and early Saturday morning and made our way up to New Hampshire. We got up there around lunchtime, so we stopped at Lower Falls on the Kancamagus Highway in the White Mountains. It felt so good to be in nature, away from everyday life. I can't explain the calm that comes over me when I am up in the mountains, but it is a feeling that I cherish because I only feel it when I am there.

Katie loves all things water, so playing in the river was a blast for her. She immediately wanted to get her bathing suit on and go swimming. But, Mike & I wanted to have something to eat first. Katie is not supposed to go swimming in any fresh water areas because of possible bacteria, but we figured this might be OK because it was moving water. We didn't think to ask anyone before we left, so we did let Katie go in the water. Luckily it was too cold to actually swim in the water, so we just held her. Her head was well above the water, so we weren't worried about her ingesting anything. And she was happy because she was in the water :-)



Later, we checked in to the campground and set up our camp. This is the first time we have taken Katie away for a camping trip. Both Mike & I love to camp, but unfortunately, we don't take the time to do much of it. Katie had a blast being away with us and she enjoyed her first camping experience thoroughly. Our first night, we gave Katie the option of going out to eat or cooking a hot dog on the campfire...she chose cooking a hot dog on the fire. So, we spent our first night at the campground and it couldn't have been more fun.


After eating our hot dogs, we took Katie over to the playground at the campground. She played there for a while and then noticed the small splash pad. She walked over to the water and sadly stated, "I wish I had my bathing suit on". When I said, "you don't need your bathing suit to go play in the splash pad", her face lit up and she went running over to the sprinklers. The smile that graced her face for the next hour was the reason for that trip. She had such a blast just running around getting wet. The squeals of joy were music to my ears. Mike & I just sat on the sidelines watching our little girl run around and be a kid...laughing and smiling....it was pure joy.



As the sun started to set, it got a bit chilly, so we had to get Katie back to camp and to dry off. After putting on some warm clothes, it was over to the ice cream barn we went. We all enjoyed a yummy ice cream and then back at the campsite, we enjoyed smores!!!! After smores, I brought out some sparklers that I had bought. Katie has never even seen a sparkler before, so this was really a treat for her. She loved them! Shortly after the last sparkler went out, Katie cuddled up on daddy's lap and admitted she was tired. This being the first time sleeping out in the wilderness for Katie, she was s little scared and wanted us to come to bed with her. We were all pretty tired, so we all went to bed around 10pm.

Sunday, we got up early and made our way over to......
Sunday marks 2 years since Katie was diagnosed with Leukemia and I feel this great need to somehow 'cover up the past' by making this day as fun as possible for Katie. Last year, we went to a tea party with the Disney princesses, but this year, we decided a trip to Storyland would be a great day. (Also, I couldn't find any Disney related events on this day...lol). But, we ended up having perfect weather for a day at Storyland.

Katie was in all her glory from the second we got out of the car until the time we left. She was just having so much fun. Everything there is perfect for her size. So, there was nothing that she couldn't do while we were there. She tried just about every ride, even the kiddie roller coaster and she did great on it. She wouldn't ride again, but she didn't cry either...lol.

One of the highlights from the day was meeting Cinderella. We had to convince Katie that this was her "vacation castle" and that she is just visiting from Disney World. She was THRILLED to meet Cinderella. She even gave her a big hug and told her that she would be seeing her in a few months in Disney World.

The tractor ride was one of Katie's favorite and the only ride that she went on twice. Not that she didn't ask to go on other rides twice, but we just didn't have time if we wanted to see everything.

Katie & I on the carousel.
This was a great day and we succeeded in not thinking about leukemia all day long. The only thoughts we had were happy ones. Two years after diagnosis, we are blessed with a healthy little girl. Our thoughts are no longer about the long road ahead filled with hospital stays and chemo treatments, but rather returning to normal life. I feel lighter in a way, the smile is returning to my face and I feel blessed to have such an amazing little girl. She continues to amaze me every day and I couldn't ask for more.

Sunday night was spent around the campfire...hot dogs for dinner and more smores! Katie put herself to bed quite early while Mike & I stayed up by the fire enjoying time alone together. Around 11pm, we decided we better head for bed too because we had to get up early for the journey home. We both had to get home and get to work as early as possible.

When Monday morning came, none of us wanted to leave. As we were eating breakfast, Katie said to us, "You know, I really like spending time with my cousins, but I love spending time with you guys best of all." Being the emotional sap that I am, I cried. She is such a sweet, sweet little girl and I am so thankful for the time we got to spend together this weekend. It made me realize that we need to spend time like this much more often. Life isn't going to slow down for us, so we need to make it slow down. Time is precious and we need to make the most of it. This was more than just a fun trip for me. This felt like a reconnection for our family. Things have been so busy for us lately and it was nice to take this time out as a family.

On a side note, if you are ever looking for a good campground up in the Storyland area...I give this one two thumbs up...we will definitely be going back there again....hopefully SOON! Okay, maybe after winter :-)

No comments: