A procedure called a "punch biopsy" was used. After a local anesthetic was injected into the lump, a small, sharp tool that looks like a cookie cutter (punch) was placed over the lesion, pushed down, and slowly rotated to remove a circular piece of skin. The skin sample was then pulled out with what looked like tweezers and was cut from the tissue below. I found the below depiction on WebMD...

They "punched" twice in order to get two samples to send to the lab. All the while, Katie was SCREAMING bloody murder. The doctor assured us that she was not feeling any pain, but her screams led me to believe differently. Katie kept yelling, "IT'S HURTING AGAIN!!! IT'S HURTING AGAIN!!!". This was, BY FAR, the hardest thing she has had to endure for two reasons. 1) There was no sedation involved, so she was fully aware of everything that was going on. 2) The doctors had a very hard time getting the procedure done because she wouldn't lie still enough (can't blame her there). So, they had to keep digging at her skin. Oh God, I cringe just thinking of it now. By the end of the procedure, I too was in tears. I feel so bad for her. I really wish I could be the one to endure it all instead of her. But, too many of us know that this is not possible. All I have to say is that CANCER SUCKS and I am SO SICK of it.
We should have the results in about a week.
No comments:
Post a Comment