Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Thursday, September 18, 2008

A quiet day at the hospital

Not much to report today. It has been a a pretty quiet day. Katie had no fever all night long and then it went back up to 103 this morning. She has spent much of her day either sleeping or just hanging out in her crib. But there was a small window of time where she was up dancing to the Wiggles and there was no complaint of pain from yesterday's procedures, so that was good to see. There are no more chemo treatments or procedures planned until next Thursday so now it is just a waiting game for her white blood cells to start to regenerate. Once they do, we should see her fever go away and then we will be able to go home again.

When we left the hospital last week, I must have still been in denial because they kept telling us to pack a bag and have it ready to go for the next hospital stay. I was telling myself that we wouldn't need it because we wouldn't be back. I thought somehow my little girl would skate through this with no other problems. HA!! What a wake-up call I have received. Now, I am making a list of all the things we need at the hospital so that I can make sure my bag if fully stocked and ready to go for next time. Funny how reality can change your perspective on things.

My perspective on life and all things important has changed dramatically from a month ago. Just 4 weeks ago we were worried about things like how Kaitlyn would adjust at preschool on her own, how many pieces of sheetrock we would need to cover the walls in the new sunroom, how many calories are in that scoop of Ben & Jerry's and what would we be for Halloween (yes, I was already planning for Halloween a month ago). Now, I am petrified that I could lose my daughter. Nothing else matters - NOTHING. The whole world could be crumbling around us and I would risk my life to make sure she got whatever medicine was due to her at that time. Because her life depends on my vigilance. She is teaching me so much about strength, love, life, devotion, and how to be a better mother. Her strength and determination amazes me more everyday and no matter how hard I have to work or how much added responsibility this disease has brought on my shoulders, I will do WHATEVER I can to help her on her path to a full recovery.

Your continued support helps our whole family through this crisis and we appreciate everything that you all have done for us.

KEEP PRAYING!

No comments: