Feels like forever since we have been to clinic. Katie's appointment was supposed to be on the 7th, but it got rescheduled to today.
We met with Dr. Usmani who went over the results from Katie's titers. She said that Katie will only need to get her regular 4-6 year booster, just like every other "normal" kid, which is great, I guess. It does make me a little nervous that these immunities were not wiped out like they said they would be. Makes me wonder what other cells may not have been wiped out....
I also brought up a concern about some of Katie's freckles. We are hearing from other parents that these dark, mole-like freckles could be from the Methotrexate that she received and they may become a problem in the long run. Dr. Usmani didn't seem overly concerned about them, but I am still going to make a dermatology appointment for her to be safe and to at least get a baseline. It is hard to know whether her freckles are from the chemo or are just genetic. I mean, I am covered in them, so it could just be how she would have been regardless of chemo. But, that's kind of where we are at with most things...we are left wondering things like whether or not she would be a faster runner if she hadn't had so much chemo, would she have an insane fear of safety pins had she not been stuck so many times over the course of her treatment, would she be such a strong, independent little girl had she not had cancer...We will never know the answer to these questions. At this point, it doesn't really matter...she is who she is and I think she is one truly amazing little girl.
At the end of the visit, Dr. Usmani asked if she was having any issues such as bed wetting. I laughed and said, "bed wetting? She is still in a diaper at night". To which, Dr. Usmani gave me a look like I am the worst mom in the world and asked "Why is she still in a diaper at night?". This prompted a whole other conversation to which she suggested that I try a product called the Starbright System. Apparently these are underwear that give your kid a small electric shock when they start to pee. I couldn't believe something like this actually existed. This is one piece of advice I think I will ignore!!! GHEEZH!
Her dermatologist appointment is scheduled for Friday, April 27, 2012. and her next clinic appointment is scheduled for Wednesday, May 23, 2012.
GLC Holiday Party
14 years ago
1 comment:
Neither of mine can make it through the night dry. We revisit it every once in a while, but so far no luck. We haven't tried "shocking" them, but I am with you, we will just wait it out.
Post a Comment