Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Sunday, May 17, 2009

Relay for Life Wrap-up

I was honored to walk in this years Relay for Life in Shrewsbury. I am not happy that my inspiration happens to be my daughter, but it offered me HOPE that maybe someday this disease won't be the scary murderer that it is today. I don't know if I will see it in my lifetime, but I have HOPE for the future.

Dare I say...
I hope for a CURE for cancer.
I hope that cancer won't take SO many lives.
I hope that cancer treatments won't have to be as harsh as they are today.
I hope that cancer will be ERADICATED.

The Relay offers me HOPE.


The Victory Lap with Survivors kicked off the Relay at 6pm.

Katie proudly RAN her lap escorted by myself, Mike, Meme and her cousin Sophie.

Seeing Katie run her Survivor lap was absolutely priceless. I couldn't help but think back to all the times over the past 9 months when she lie in her hospital bed with IVs attached to the port in her chest and not able to be "free" as she calls it. Caressing her beautiful bald head and looking into her eyes glazed from pain and medications. FIGHTING.

But, even worse than that is that she is not the only one. The cancer floor at Umass Memorial is usually full. Full of other young patients just like Katie going through the same painful process. I would walk down the halls and peek into some of the other rooms. I would see the caregivers standing over their children, all looking tired and worn, forcing smiles. FIGHTING.

The nurses hustling trying to keep everyone medicated and comfortable. FIGHTING.

Doctors making morning rounds, afternoon rounds, and middle of the night emergency calls. FIGHTING.

I would hear the constant beeping of IV machines, as well as other alarms and "codes", noises that made me want to cover my ears and cry.

So to Katie, I say BE FREE, KEEP FIGHTING and RUN LIKE THE WIND!!!






I walk for Katie, but I also walk for my grandparents, John & Marion Cummins or "Mim" & "Pop" as I called them. They both lost their battles to lung cancer years ago, but I still miss them as if it were yesterday.

Beatles for Sale rocked the house on Friday night!!! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!

Our family, ever so supportive, came to watch Katie take her Survivor lap.


The Relay for Life luminaries light the track at night in honor of all those who have lost their battle with cancer and those that are still fighting their fight.




Saturday morning was kicked off with some Tai Chi, led by Phil Pritchard of the American Shaolin Kempo Concepts School of Martial Arts in Shrewsbury.

This was Katie's first camping experience and she did GREAT. She didn't fall asleep until about 11pm Friday night, but once she was sleeping, she was fine. She did wake up about 3am to go potty and everyone close to us heard the not so quiet "Mommy, I have to go potty!!!" and those really close to us even heard her tinkle...lol. But, considering that Katie began this round of steroids on Thursday and we took her to such a big event on Friday, I think she did a fantastic job.

Team members and good friends, Mary (left) with her daughter Rachel and Shelly (right) with her daughter Maggie.

Our craziest team member, Meredith, with her family. Meredith stayed up ALL NIGHT walking the track!!! I don't know how she did it, but AWESOME JOB Mere!!!

Total Relay Dollars Raised: $64,549 and counting
Total Team (G-Squad) Dollars Raised: $2,325.00
I personally Raised: $805.00
Pictures taken: 797

Seeing your daughter RUN the Survivor lap: PRICELESS

Thank you to everyone that donated to our cause!!!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

800 pictures?!?? when did you find time to walk?

Congrats!

Michele said...

What a sweet tribute. Made me teary-eyed. :-)