Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Thursday, May 14, 2009

Thursday Clinic Visit - Maintenance Round 3

Katie is doing REALLY great these days. Her hair is starting to grow back and I have started calling her GI JANE :-) Her color is coming back in her cheeks and her eyes don't look as sunken as they were a few months ago. All in all, I would say that Maintenance is definitely less taxing on her little body than the past phases in her treatment have been. That was until today....

Today's clinic visit consisted of the following:
1) Port access
2) a blood draw
3) Vincristine (Chemo)
4) Lumbar Puncture with intrathecal chemo

The chemo in the lumbar puncture hit Katie like a Mack truck. She actually fell asleep on the procedure table after the lumbar puncture, but before her appointment was over. She even slept through the de-accessing of her port (mostly). We left the clinic at 1:30pm, she slept the whole way home and didn't wake up until 4pm when I woke her up to take her first dose of Dexamethasone for the day. I can't stand seeing her so wiped out from her treatments.

This cycle will consist of the following:
Vincristine - Day 1 (same dose as previous cycles)
Methotrexate (oral at home chemo) - Days 8 & 15 (same dose as the last cycle)
6-mercapturine (oral at home chemo) - Days 1-14 (same dose as the last cycle)
Dexamethasone (oral at home steroid)- Days 1-5 (same dose as the last cycle)

Next planned clinic visit will be in three weeks, June 4th.

1 comment:

Michele said...

Hope it all goes! :-)