Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Sunday, January 3, 2010

Steroid Voice

We are in full steroid hysteria over here. Although the changes are almost unnoticeable to the outsider, there are definite physical changes in Kaitlyn when she is on steroids. These subtle changes are hard to describe. Her face appears different to me, with rounder eyes and puffy cheecks. Her voice is a bit more high pitched, which goes perfectly with the whining that ensues. We call the high pitched, whiny voice her "steroid voice".

I am not sure if anyone else picks up on these physical changes or not because there are other more obvious behavioral changes. Like the fact that my sweet little girl becomes a whiny monster, that is impossible to please. I try to work extra hard to be patient during the first 5 days of each cycle, but by the 4th & 5th day, my patience is wearing thin. But, I always try to remember that no matter how hard it is on me, it is that much harder on her. When I feel like yelling, I pick her up, hold her in my arms, caress her back and try to calm her. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But, I always feel better doing that than yelling, even if it doesn't work.

Some other changes that occur:
She has crazy food cravings
Also, major indecision and confusion
She cries - a lot
She regresses, wanting me to feed her and having more "accidents" than usual. She actually loses all control and I end up putting her back in pull ups for the first 5 days of every cycle.
She gets tired and usually returns to napping once per day
She becomes extremely talkative and by day 5 she is usually quite nutty/funny

I cannot wait for these cycles to be over with...10 months and counting...can I hear a BOOH YA!!!

No comments: