We have spent the last month trying to get our pool ready for the summer and last night we finally started putting water back in. We left the hose going overnight and we kept hearing noises from the sides. Mike even got up once in the middle of the night to check on it and make sure it wasn't going to blow a side or anything. But, after much effort getting it clean enough for water, this is where we are at with the pool opening this summer. This might very well be the "straw that broke the camel's back".This pool is about 20 years old and we have certainly gotten our money's worth out of it, but over the past few years, it has gotten increasingly more difficult to open & maintain. We tend to spend more time opening the pool and closing the pool than we do enjoying it. We have had many discussions about whether or not to even keep the pool. But, the pool may have decided for us. Not only has the liner ripped, but the sides have also started to collapse from the weight of the water.
I can't really bring myself to accept that this may be the end of the pool. I know it might sound crazy, but it kinda feels like a family member in a way. My parents bought that pool when I was a teenager and as I think about taking it down, I can't help but think about some of the fun family times spent in that pool. Especially the volley ball games and Dad saying "rotisserie" as the server rotated into the serving position. Or my cousin, Shelly, being forced to go pick up all the balls because she was the one to hit the last ball out of the pool. Or Mom lying on her raft, sunning herself until the sun went down. Or the little boy next door coming over to ask in his squeaky toddler voice, "Hey, what are you guys doing" as we were lined up on the roof, ready to take our turn jumping in.
I hate change. And although I know that the pool may not be salvageable without sinking a ton of money into it, I still can't really accept it yet. I guess I need some time to grieve the death of my pool.
No comments:
Post a Comment