Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Camp out!

Last night, we had our first ever Christmas Camp out!! I got this idea from something that I read in a magazine and I am SO GLAD that we incorporated it into our holiday plans this year. We blew up Katie's "vacation bed" and moved our mattress off our bed out to the sun room, next to the Christmas tree. We had such a great family night!!

Katie was very anxious to get started on the "camp-out", so we told her that the camp out didn't start until the Christmas Tree came on (it's on a timer set for 5pm). Well, Mike & I got done with our day's "to-do" list, so we actually turned the tree on early :-) We let Katie decide how the night was going to go. She decided to kick the party off with some games....Chutes & Ladders, Candyland and Cinderella's Enchanted Slipper Game. She was SO thrilled to have our undivided attention and we were very happy to be able to give it to her. We have been so busy lately with holiday plans and work that there hasn't been much downtime, so this night was perfect for all of us.




After an hour of games, Katie decided it was time for cake! I bought the cake mix with the intention of making cookies, but I followed the recipe for cake instead of cookies...DUH! Regardless, we ended up with a pretty great cake for our camp out!

After cake, it was on to Little People...one of Katie's favorite toys. She is very much into pretend play these days and she always designates a toy for a real person in her life. It's very interesting to see how all of these "people" interact in her imaginary world. Mostly, things look pretty happy, but there is usually someone sick going to see the doctor/nurse.

After Little People, it was on to popcorn & movie time. We had DVR'd "Happy Feet" a few nights ago, so that was the movie of choice. There were some parts that were a little scary for Katie, but overall, she liked it.

The movie ended about 10pm, so it was time to get her settled into bed. As you can imagine, it was hard to do that immediately, so we had to shut the TV off and pretend that we were going to sleep too.

Once she settled in for the night, it didn't take her too long to drift off to a peaceful slumber. I was so filled with joy from the sight of seeing my beautiful little girl sleeping under the lights of the Christmas Tree. Truly a great night. I highly recommend adding this to your Holiday traditions, it will certainly become part of ours from now on.
Goodnight my Angel....Mommy loves you!

2 comments:

Ali said...

I love this!, What a great idea. Maybe we will try that next year. Gavin is still not quite getting the whole christmas thing and it is taking all my effort to keep him out of the tree! nevermind trying to sleep under it.

Michele said...

What an excellent idea!!! I think we are going to add this to our tradition!!!! we loved the living room campout/sleepover we did a few months ago so that would be great to do for Christmas. maybe tomorrow or Wednesday night.