Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Saturday, October 9, 2010

ER visit...REALLY??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

Today was an unexpected turn of events...I thought all I would be worried about today was packing for Disney, but on top of that, we were also worried about Katie's fevers!!!

5:00am – Katie was sleeping in with us and I happened to feel her forehead and realized that she was HOT. I took her temperature and it was about 100 degrees. We gave her some Tylenol and hoped that it would go away. It did…until about 3:00pm, when I noticed that she was looking rather hot again.

3:30pm – Took Katie’s temp again and it was 103 degrees, tried again – 100 degrees, third time – 101 degrees, fourth time – 101 degrees, fifth time – 100.5 degrees…there was no denying it, she had a fever high enough to call the doctor and go to the ER.

4:30pm – Katie was admitted to the ER.

5:00pm – First attempt at port access – the male nurse got a blood draw, but couldn't flush the line. After a few attempts at moving the needle around, he decided to take it out and call the IV team.

5:15pm – Katie received Tylenol.

5:30pm – Two nurses form the IV team attempted to access her port. The first try was unsuccessful and the nurse was really hurting Katie with the needle. Katie gave me this look like she was in complete agony and I started screaming, “Enough! Enough! Take it OUT!” Oh my God, the poor kid. My heart was breaking for her and I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't understand why it was so important to access the port, but then they explained that if the port was infected, they wanted to send the antibiotics through the line to kill the infection. I agreed to let them try a third time and this time was successful.

6:00pm – Third port access worked like a charm which leads me to believe that there was nothing wrong with the port, but rather the people that were trying to access it. Either way, I was happy to see a good blood return. Once the port was accessed, they started her antibiotics immediately. Once her antibiotics were finished, we were able to go home, but we had to follow up with Dr. Neuberger in the morning to let him know how Katie was doing.

I cannot believe that we had to bring Katie to the ER the night before we leave for Disney! I am so beside myself right now. I am brought back to the same question that started this whole journey – WHY?? Why couldn't things just go smoothly? I guess this is just a reminder that it’s not over until it’s over. UGH!

No comments: