
My Dearest Kaitlyn -
Another year has passed and I can hardly believe it... you’ve covered a milestone, you are five years old today - where has that time gone???
It feels like just yesterday when you were born and I first held you in my arms. You were just a tiny little baby not so long ago and now every so often you proudly and articulately point out to us that you are a big girl now as you can "do it yourself" whatever "it" may be at the given moment.
From a crying baby to attention seeking toddler to a beautiful little girl who loves being the center of attention, I have seen you grow and blossom.
During this last year, I have seen the most significant changes in you – more than walking and talking as these milestones seem rooted in the physical. What I am witnessing now is the growth of your mind, of your heart. You are learning compassion and empathy. You are learning to be you.
You have a sweetness, a kindness, and a joy for life about you, and you look like an angel. You love your friends, both real and imaginary or even stuffed. And, oh – when you smile, you can light up a room. Your laugh is infectious – and you are as silly as they come.
We are alike you and I - in our need for order, perfectionism, inability to make a decision, our tempers and our imagination; not so much in attitude (you are fearless where I am hesitant).
You are my shadow, and I am still your security blanket. As much as you fight with me, you need me – I hear “I want you/I don’t want you” all in the same breath. I need to learn to be more patient with your tantrums – you need to be patient with your stumbling mommy. We have both learned to count to ten this year and try to calm down.
I am so grateful for who you are. I am envious of your passion for life, your confidence, your ambitions. I want to bottle up your spirit forever. You have taught me so many great things and opened up my eyes to a new world. You make my heart sing out loud when I look in the rear view mirror of my minivan. I see you break out in song as your limbs start dancing and I smile at your carefree spirit.
This has been a year of many blessings and changes - from the excitement of starting school to the anticipation of meeting your favorite princess, to the end of chemotherapy and on to a "normal" life.
So on today, this is my wish for you:
-- That you feel loved & supported.
-- That you experience new things and make wonderful new friends.
-- That your year is as pain-free and as normal as possible.
Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday Girly Girl.
I love you with all my heart.
~Mommy
No comments:
Post a Comment