Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Sunday, April 26, 2009

Week 11 - Biggest Loser Update

Today was my final weigh in for the Biggest Loser competition.

This week, I lost 3 pounds.

Total Weight Loss for the competition: 19
Total Weight Loss for the year: 24
Total Weight Loss since I began: 50

Total % of Weight Lost: 9.7% which is the highest on my team!!!

Currently, I am down 2 whole pant sizes from the beginning of the year.

Bloodwork results:
Total Cholesterol: 186 (up from 162 last year, but goal is < 200)
HDL or "Good" Cholesterol: 57 (up from 42 last year. Goal is greater than 40)
LDL or "Bad" Cholesterol: 103 (up from 92 last year, but goal is < 130)
Risk factor ratio: 3.3 (down from 3.9 last year, I am considered low risk)

My original goal for the competition was 30 pounds and at first, I was disappointed that I only lost 19. But, instead of dwelling on what I didn't accomplish, I started thinking about all the things that I DID accomplish. Over the past 12 weeks, I have done things that I haven't been able to do in a REALLY long time, if ever…

1) I can actually see the scale without bending over to look over my stomach to see what I weigh.
2) Not only can I see my toes, I can touch them too!!!
3) I tried many group exercise classes, including ZUMBA, Core Blast, Muscle Conditioning and most recently, Turbo Step Aerobics – all of which I LOVE!!!
4) I swam a mile. I had no idea if I would be able to complete this challenge because I had never even swum a lap before this competition….BUT I DID IT.
5) I rode a bike, a real bike, on a real rode, for the first time in ages. It has been so long since I have ridden a bike that I can't even tell you how long it's actually been.
6) This week, I ran a mile and I felt good doing it. Usually, I feel like I am going to keel over after a minute, but this past week, I have been running on the treadmill and I FEEL AWESOME. I am starting to understand what they mean when they talk about the "runner's high".
7) This week, I also hiked Mt. Wachusett and felt GREAT doing it!
8) I set a date to hike Mt. Washington and I have recruited a few people to climb it with me. The date is Saturday, August 8th!!! Stay tuned for more updates on this :-)

The biggest thing that this competition has taught me is to step outside my comfort zone and try new things. It has given me the courage to do so many new things and I am well on my way to a healthier, fuller life.

So, what's next?

Well, first order of business, I am going to the Imperial Buffet for dinner, which is an all you can eat Chinese food restaurant :-)

Then, I am taking a week off because my body is absolutely killing me. I am tired and achy every day and I need a rest. So, next week, I will be sticking to my diet, but resting my achy bones. Then, after that, I am not exactly sure.

I still have more weight to lose and more work to do, but I also know that I have been putting way too much stress on my feet and if I want to actually make it to the top of Mt. Washington, I will have to try and get my feet "right" first. I have a chronic foot condition called Plantar Fasciitis and the only way to help it is rest and I have a hard time with that, so my feet haven't gotten any better. But, my plan for May will include a strict diet, light/low-impact cardio, muscle conditioning and therapy for my feet. I am planning to take it easy for about 3 weeks and hope that my feet feel better after that because I need June & July to train for the big Mt. Washington hike!!!

3 comments:

Michele said...

Congrats on the great job with your weight loss during this competition!! You have rocked it!!!!

As for your feet, I had the exact thing when I started my weight loss and as I kept going and losing the weight it went away on its own. I agree, don't push it, but keep working out and losing weight and hopefully it will be like mine and just go away. :-)

Kristin said...

An awesome summary --- I totally agree, the competition definitely got me out of my comfort zone in a positive way and progress was made! Congrats on a job well done :)

InWeighOverMyHead said...

Congrats! I found you on Michele's site. Way to go!

- Lisa
www.losewithlisa.blogspot.com