Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Monday, September 14, 2009

First Day of Homeschool Preschool

With all this talk about "Back to School", I started to feel a little left out and resentful that Kaitlyn will be kept out of school for another year because of her leukemia and low white blood cell counts. It just doesn't seem right that I have a this little girl that is anxiously awaiting the chance to go to school, but I don't want to send her because there is way too much risk for illness. Her doctor told us to go ahead and send her, but we could expect a few more hospital stays...NO THANKS!

However, I don't want to get in the same routine we did last winter with me on the computer and her in front of the TV. I wanted to come up with a "plan" for us to have at least a few hours of "school". I spent some time today coming up with a loose curriculum that will be added to/changed as the year progresses.

I have no particular lessons planned for this week. I am just feeling it out and seeing what she responds to and what she doesn't. I am also hoping that this week will be fun for her and she will look forward to spending this time in "school" with me. Next week, we will start on more specific lessons on letters & numbers. This will be a learning experience for both of us.

Here is what we did today...

This week's theme: Back to School!

First, we started class by spelling her name, which she already does really well.

Next, we talked about the date, day of the week, and month of the year.

Then, we took a walk into the sunroom to get the weather report. Katie came back to draw a picture representing the weather that she saw outside the window. Here she is drawing a picture with the sun.














Next, we did a "learning activity" of her choice. She chose her numbers game & workbook. This lasted for about 15 minutes.














After that, I set her up at the kitchen table with a craft (water colors) while I made lunch.

We had a quick break for lunch and then we went outside for some outdoor learning and play.

This adventure started out at the apple tree in our backyard where we talked about the apples and then kicked the ones on the ground into the lake for the turtles.





















After kicking apples into the lake, we fed the swans some bread....this was a highlight of her "first day of school".




















Another highlight was riding her tricycle on the road in front of our house. She had to make sure she was protected, so she went back into the house to get her helmet, elbow & knee pads...too cute...lol.























All in all, I would say that we had a pretty good "first day of school"!!!

3 comments:

Ali said...

too cute! Looks like the first day of school was a success. Luke told me yesterday that he wants to go to school. Not sure if he actually understands what school is, but wanted to go.

Cristin said...

Safety 1st - that's awesome that she puts on her gear!
Your school sounds like a lot of fun and I love that she has so many hands on activities! Keep up the great work!

Michele said...

Very fun!!! Sounds like you have a great plan!