Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Sunday, September 13, 2009

We Conquered - MT. WASHINGTON

Saturday, September 12, 2009 - WE DID IT!!!

Mike & I made the Mt. Washington climb and made it to the summit. This has been a goal of mine for as long as I can remember and I actually wrote it down on my "bucket list" on July 22, 2003. It feels incredible to have tackled this mountain and won!!!

Start time: 7:14am
Starting elevation: 2,500 feet

We took the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail to Crawford Path and then on to the Summit.

At 4.4 miles, the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail/Crawford Path is the most direct route to the summit of Mt. Washington on the west side.

















Just starting out...


























This is a very beautiful trail, with many waterfalls and scenic overlooks. It is a relatively easy grade for the first hour or so, following the Ammonoosuc River, and then starts ascending somewhat steeply.














































There is a fairly long section of the trail which is very steep but has good footing, ideal for an aerobic workout! Then there is a section in which the trail goes over several ledges, which were quite slippery due to the rain the night before. We both lost our footing and slipped a few times, but no major injuries.



































Just above treeline, around 11:15am, we came to the Lakes of the Clouds Hut. Elevation: 5,000 feet.

This is where the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail officially ends and we picked up Crawford Path to the summit. The Crawford Path has the distinction of being the oldest hiking trail in the US that is still used and maintained solely for hiking. From here, the summit was 1.4 miles.
















Quite unexpectedly, the trail actually got easier after the Lakes of the Clouds Hut. The grade was not as steep and the rocks were not as wet which made it more of an endurance challenge than a muscular one.

I guess this is why they call it the "Rock Pile". Instead of sheer granite on the top, it was a bunch of smaller rocks piled on top of each other. This made it a bit of a challenge because the rocks were quite wobbly and it was difficult to find a steady place to step.
















Once near the top, we had to stay close to each other because there was very limited visibility.





















Mike & I finally made it to the summit at 1:45pm....6 & 1/2 hours after we started. Summit elevation: 6,288 feet

We saw the Weather Observatory first, but it was SO foggy up there that we really didn't even see it until we were right next to it. We could barely see 10 feet in front of us up there.















Standing at this sign made me realize that I can do whatever I set my mind to. I can't believe that we did it. For so many years, I had built it up to be so much harder than it actually was. Don't get me wrong, the hike was tough, REALLY tough, but anyone who knows me, knows that I have been steadily working toward this goal for a good couple of years now. And I DID IT!!!!















Oh yeah, Mike did it too :-)















I kept asking myself why I didn't hike this mountain when I was in my twenties, when I was my "fittest". I did a lot of hiking in the "Whites" back then and never even attempted Mt. Washington. I guess if I had done it back then, it wouldn't have meant as much. Now, not only was it a great physical accomplishment for me (us), but it also meant the world to me that Mike did it with me. My witness...my partner...my best friend...thanks for being there honey, I love you!!!
















After a 6 & 1/2 hour hike, we were both exhausted. We took a long break on top, having something substantial to eat and poking around the gift shops. Then, we decided to take the Cog down...is this considered cheating? I think it is, but I was too tired to care at that point.















I have to give a BIG "THANK YOU" to my mom for watching Katie this weekend. Without that key factor, we never would have been able to go and make this goal a reality. Thanks so much, mom. I REALLY appreciate your help with this.

2 comments:

Michele said...

CONGRATS!!!!! I know you have been talking about wanting to do this ever since I started following your blog (which I guess has been just about a year ago) and YOU DID IT!!!! (Oh and Mike too! lol Those pics are too funny!) Congrats again! So what's next?! :-)

Ali said...

Congrats! I knew you could do it. Awesome blossom.