OK, I am going to lose my mind....I thought girls were supposed to be "easy" to potty train!
We are now approaching month 2 and Kaitlyn has taken to being stubborn and insisting that she doesn't have to go potty when I know she does. She dances around for so long that she eventually wets her pants and then she claims that she couldn't hold it, even though she had been "doing the dance" for half an hour before the accident happened. ARGH!!!! I know that she realizes when she has to go, but she will insist that she doesn't.
I have even given in and put her back in diapers at times which I am sure probably confuses her even more, but I am extremely frustrated with this "game" and I am sick of changing pee pee pants and sheets!!!!!
Are there any potty training gurus out there? Any advice for a mom about to lose it?
GLC Holiday Party
14 years ago
6 comments:
Oh I wish I did! lol I don't think I ever figured it out. Eventually they just got it. I soooo know what you mean about changing pants and sheets. I gave up on the night time, DS still wears a pull-up to bed (and he is 5). My sanity was more important than him being potty trained at night! Hang in there. Maybe you shouldn't give her a choice but just take her in every two hours (or whatever you see is her normal time when she starts doing the potty dance). The other thing is how long you leave her in the wet undies before you change them....if you change them right away then she has the natural consequence of it you wet your pants they are going to remain wet, do you like wearing wet pants? If not, then you have to go in the potty.
If girls are "easy" I am not looking forward to Cameron...
Daniela still has a dance at 4 1/2... and I have gotten good at seeing it at it's very earliest stage. She has had several "set-back" phases over the past 1.5 years - from major accidents, to "I just peed a little", to "Mommy, don't be mad, but I pooped a little in my underwear"
She still insists she doesn't have to go when she is dancing, but I usually just make her (ie - if she asks for another drink I tell her she has to go potty first, if we are leaving the house she has to try, etc). You can also try to challenge her to go through a day (morning to evening) without accidents and without you reminding her and if she can do it she gets a reward/sticker on a chart. I also monitor how much drink she gets through out the day so I can sort of predict when we will need potty breaks.
Daniela still wears pull-ups at night... which we revisit from time to time and I always end up changing the bed (I try it the night before we are going to change the sheets anyway).
I just went to the potty training workshop at Beginning years, since we will be attempting to train Luke around 3. I think Kristin is on the right track with making her go on the potty. Maybe you visit the potty every 1.5- 2 hours regardless of the "dance". Kids thrive in routine. Another suggestion was to use "train pants/rubber pants" instead of underwear. They will still feel wet like underwear, but the vinyl outside will keep her clothes dry. Target carries them in the baby isle near the cloth diapers. Maybe have her help clean up when she does have an accident (putting her wet clothes in a bag or hamper.)
Hope some of this helps!
good luck!
I gave up. No idea what I did. The first was interested in going and then I started started yelling with the second. It didn't really help. Just not making a big deal out of it I guess.
Sticker reward system. Have to earn a whole page of stickers before getting the reward? It worked to get Isa to take her medications. Something I thought would never happen.
Don't ask her if she has to go when you see the dance, but go yourself or get her near and thinking about it? Good luck.
Eventually, they just get it. Don't stress out over it. Scarlett trained herself and we put a pull up on at night just in case she forgets to get up. Girls generally do train earlier than the boys, mine were 1 month before their 4th birthday.
If she is not too interested, then let her wear a pull up, she will eventually get tired of it and want to go back to the undees.
Maggie does the same thing and she has been potty trained for almost a year now. I never gave her the option to go back to diapers cause I was afraid she might like it better. Like Kristen I also give alternatives, "Go potty and try or you can't have another drink" or "if you don't try we can't go outside and play until you do" this works sometimes. Someone told me its all about control and they push the limits for a while. I try to be patient and just let her do it or I make up games like "I'll race you to the Potty" racing seems to work for a lot of things these days. Good luck! Laurie Jakubiak
Post a Comment