Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Saturday, August 29, 2009

One Year since diagnosis

It was exactly one year ago, August 29, 2008, that I received the worst news of my life..."the bone marrow biopsy confirms that Kaitlyn has leukemia." After I heard those words, I stopped listening, nothing else registered because I was in a complete state of shock. The next thing I remember, we were in a hospital room and I couldn't comprehend what was happening; I had no idea how I had gotten there. I was trying to understand how we could go from being a happy "normal" family, getting ready to send Kaitlyn to preschool to having her admitted to the hospital, surrounded by doctors & nurses spawning words I didn't understand. The first few days were definitely the worst. Finding out that your child has cancer is one of the most terrifying experiences a parent can endure. Kaitlyn's laughter, positive attitude and continuous smiles have gotten us through some of the most trying times in this journey. I can recall a time when we were in the hospital and she was attached to multiple IV's, I think there were 5 of them at one time, dancing around on the floor to the Wiggles. She gives us the strength and courage we need in order to get through those tough days. Her resilience is truly inspiring to me.

Mike & I are now part of this “secret society” for parents of children with cancer where children die and heartache is everywhere. No one ever wants to be a member of this society and no one can ever understand what it is like unless you are one of us. Not even those closest to us can truly understand what it is like to see your child, week after week, endure the necessary pain of blood draws, intramuscular shots, port placement surgeries, port access, chemotherapy, bone marrow biopsies, and lumbar punctures. Nor do they understand how hard it is to hear your child or other children in the rooms next to yours, screaming and crying as they are having their port accessed or blood taken. All of it is truly heart wrenching at times. We live in constant fear of a relapse and can’t wait for this journey to end with a clean bill of health. We don't know for sure what the future holds, but we do know that we are looking forward to seeing Katie get stronger each and every day. It's amazing when you think about how much that little body has been through over the last year. Yet when you see her, you wouldn't even know it.

My hope is that in a year, Kaitlyn will be clear of this disease with little or no recollection of all that she has been through. But, there are parts of her story that I will NEVER let her forget. Like how amazingly brave she has been. Over the past year, I have learned what an incredible little girl I have. I mean, before she was diagnosed with Leukemia, I loved her more than anything, like any parent loves their child, but now…NOW I am in awe of her bravery, strength and resilience. Being a mother is such an amazing experience in so many ways. Even cancer has its upside, if you look for it. I appreciate things in such a different way now. I don't take my days with her for granted. In fact, I don't take anything for granted. Every moment is important and special. The smallest things have become big. And throughout this journey, we have been introduced to some of the most amazing, giving individuals I have ever known. I feel blessed to have this "awakening" in my life.

This awakening has given me a call to service.

Over 12,400 children (in the United States) are diagnosed with cancer each year. That's a classroom full of children every single day, year after year.

Currently, one in every 330 children in the United States develops cancer before the age of nineteen. The incidence of cancer among children is increasing. Each school day, enough children are diagnosed with childhood cancer to empty two classrooms! (*NCCF)

About 4,000 children die from cancer each year. That's 11 children every single day, every single year.

I know that these are just statistics, but imagine for a moment that your child was included in them? Imagine for a moment that your child had terminal cancer? Would you be able to sit back and watch, as so much research still needs to be done? Ignoring these statistics is no longer an option for me.

September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and I will be sharing ideas throughout the month on how you can show your support, please don’t tune them out. It is so important to get involved in this effort…children’s lives depend on it.

TOGETHER WE CAN FIGHT!!!

3 comments:

Michele said...

Wow...it is amazing what you (and children) can go through when you are faced with it. I pray that she continues to get healthy and leaves the cancer in the dust! :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting. Good idea to celebrate teh diagnosversy.

Isa's is in January. What is there to do in January? Ha.

Being a part of this is hard. I have met too many kids who die. It breaks my heart. Then here we are in the middle of it wondering.

Cristin said...

You and Mike are two amazing parents as well! All of the creative things that you have done along the way (the postcards from all over, for one) while fighting this disease.
You are correct in that no one can truly comprehend how life changing this has been without experiencing it first hand. While I can only speak for myself, I have become inspired to make more of each day since following your blog. I have come to appreciate the strides that my children have made and I have been educated about what exactly Leukemia is and how it is treated.
As parents, we will do whatever it takes to keep our children healthy and safe, even when it is out of our reach.
Having met Katie, what can I say - she is amazing! I am looking forward to Light the Night as well as spreading the word to raise some $$$ so that they can find a cure!
Keep up the good work and continue to post Katie's survivor story!