Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Back in the ER again

I was up ALL Sunday night with vomiting & diarrhea. I spent most of Monday sleeping because I was still feeling sick to my stomach, achy and tired.

The weird thing was that Kaitlyn also spent most of the day sleeping, but she had no other signs of being sick. Until about 5:30pm when she looked a bit hot. We took her temperature and she registered a 102. As sick as I was feeling, I couldn't believe that we were going to have to run around the house, packing bags and heading out in the cold to the ER...kill me now!!!

6:30 pm - Tylenol administered at home, bags packed and out the door we went to the ER. I was feeling like total crap and I was not thinking clearly at all. It truly was a pathetic scene. Poor Mike.

7:00pm - Katie was admitted to the ER. Temp registered as "normal" on the ER machine - go figure.

7:40pm - port access & blood draw.

7:50 pm - a surprise visit from one of our favorite nurses from the 5th floor. Nurse Michelle heard that Katie was in the ER and she came down to say "hi". Sometimes it's the little things like this that make you smile in a bad situation. Thanks Michelle :-)

8:00 pm - ER Doc exam didn't find anything abnormal. Start of antibiotic, Vancomycin.

8:30 pm - The ER doc returned to let us know that she had consulted with Dr. Usmani, the oncologist 'on call', and they decided that Kaitlyn's counts were good and she appeared to be healthy enough to go home after a second dose of the antibiotic.

9:00 pm - Second dose of antibiotic

10:30pm - Discharged from the ER.

11:00pm - Home and in bed. Well, I was in bed...Katie and Mike wanted to have something to eat. I couldn't keep my eyes open for one more second.

Most of these details are hazy at best because I was falling asleep on the stretcher in the ER exam room. Again, it truly was a pathetic scene. I can only imagine what the ER doctors & nurses must have thought of me...lol.

I am feeling much better today. But, Katie on the other hand is sneezing and coughing slightly with a terrible runny nose. So far no fever though!!! Let's hope it stays that way through the night!!!

Is it spring yet?

No comments: