Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Friday, February 27, 2009

We had a good stretch

Yesterday afternoon, around 3:30pm, Kaitlyn felt hot to me, so I took her temperature and sure enough, she was running a fever of 102 degrees. I called Mike at work and then I called the clinic to let them know what her temperature was. They instructed us to bring her to the ER.

Once packed and at the ER (4:30pm), they accessed her port and took her blood for cultures and CBCs. Then they gave her Tylenol for the fever and stated her on antibiotics. They administered a different type of antibiotic because of her reaction the last time in the ER with the left side of her face swelling. This antibiotic only has a six hour coverage versus a twelve hour. Therefore, after a few hours in the ER, Dr. Grossman (the new oncologist on staff) decided to admit her. Mainly because she would need another round of antibiotics at midnight and she was borderline neutropenic.

We were finally checked into a room by 7:30pm. And of course the cafeteria was closed by then so Mike had to run to Qdoba’s, Burger King and Papa Ginos for dinner. He is so patient with his two picky women :-)

We tucked Katie into bed around 10pm.

What can I say? We had a good stretch. The last time Kaitlyn was admitted to the hospital was October. The weird thing is that she had the same fever during the last round, almost on the same day which also sent us to the ER, but she was not admitted. Last round, it was the Friday after she came off the steroids. This round, it was the Thursday after she came off the steroids. I can’t say that I am surprised by this admission. The Doxorubicin is really hitting Kaitlyn a lot harder than any of the other drugs she has been on. I am thankful that she only has one more round of it to get through before she begins the maintenance phase.

Her fever came back around 2:30am and they gave her some more Tylenol. In order for them to feel comfortable sending her home, she has to be without a fever for at least 24 hours, so we will be staying at least another night.

No comments: