Today's clinic visit marks the start of the last round in the Consolidation II Phase of Kaitlyn's treatment...next stop, MAINTENANCE!!!
Today's visit included the following:
1) Port access
2) a blood draw
3) Vincristine (Chemo)
4) Doxorubicin (Chemo)
5) Zinecard (heart protection)
6) Zofran (to prevent nausea)
AND a Lumbar Puncture with intrathecal chemotherapy.
She will also be on Dexamethasone (steroids) for 5 days and 6-mercapturine (oral chemo) for 14 days.
This round lasts 3 weeks and consists of the following...
Vincristine - Day 1
Doxorubicin - Day 1
Zinecard - Day 1
Lumbar Puncture with Intrathecal Chemo - Day 1
6-mercapturine - Days 1-14
Dexamethasone - Days 1-5
I am hopeful that this round will not bring us back to the hospital, but we have been there the past two rounds, so we'll see what happens.
After this round is over, she will hit the maintenance phase of her treatment. I am very much looking forward to that phase because it has not been easy watching Kaitlyn go through everything that she has gone through in the past 6 months. I look forward to seeing her get her strength and her beautiful hair back :-)
I really have nothing profound to say. I have both fear for what the next three weeks will bring and relief that we are almost over the worst of it. Like a light at the end of a dark tunnel. I know that we are quite a ways from being "done", but this seems like a huge milestone. I just can't wait to be able to say, "She's in maintenance!!!"
Our next clinic visit is scheduled for Thursday, April 2nd.
No comments:
Post a Comment