Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Sunday, March 8, 2009

6 month reflection

Can you believe it has been 6 months since Kaitlyn was diagnosed with Leukemia?

It is hard for me to remember what life was like before our lives got derailed by Leukemia. I wish there were more posts on this blog pre-Leukemia, but somehow it seems like divine intervention that this blog was created a week before Kaitlyn was diagnosed.

When I look at the post from August 28, 2008 , I see a beautiful, HEALTHY little girl (with a full head of hair). But, she really was not healthy, in fact, if you look closely, you can see the band aid on her right arm that was from the blood test the day before. The blood test that would send us for a bone marrow biopsy and eventually led us to a heart wrenching diagnosis.

I know I have said this before, but over the past six months, I have seen my baby go through more pain than most of us will experience in a whole lifetime. I have asked the questions, "Why?", "Why her?", "Why us" over and over again, only to be left with silence and bitterness. So, like it or not, we walk this path - EVERY DAY. Living each day as a "to do list" and checking it off as one of our tasks on our way to "getting it done" or "having it over".

I have realized recently that because of this disease, we have stopped "living". In trying to protect Kaitlyn from germs this winter, we have spent a lot of time in the house doing nothing. So, as we look to spring, we also look to the maintenance phase of Kaitlyn's treatment (April 2nd if all stays on course). And although it won't be less work for Mike & I, it will be less taxing on Kaitlyn's body. I will take the work to spare her the pain. Also, with spring comes less germs and the possibility of living again. I can't believe the power that this disease has over our lives. Hopefully with the maintenance phase, we can start to resume a "normal" life.

To all of my blog followers, I say thank you for reading our story and offering loving support to our family.

Here's to spring!!!

2 comments:

Cristin said...

I am inspired by your blog! When I think about the miracle of new life, watching your child grow and bloom, play with dolls, get into all kinds of mischief - basically being a toddler and then to find out that your child has Leukemia. I can't even imagine.
The last picture I saw of Kaitlyn before she became ill was at one of your Dad's concert's, I remember because I was about to send an email to you to ask for her autograph (I just love to say that I knew someone who was in the paper. LOL) Anyway, then shortly after that I received your email. Since then, I tune in as often as I can to see how she is doing. I barely know you and this is the 2nd time we have been in a MOMS Club together. Since reading your blog, I feel like we have been friends for a long time. Your story has touched my life as well as many others. When Katie is well enough to spend time with other children, I hope she will come for a visit. Kaitlyn is amazing and she has amazing parents! I look forward to reading about her future accomplishments.
Thank you for sharing your joys and challenges.

Sue said...

hey Amy,Mike & Kaitlyn,
i've looked at that damn band aid many times and have also asked that " WHY!" question .

Kaitlyn is beautiful, brillant,charming and full of personality and when she calls my name i just melt. She's been through so much and right now will get through this phase and maintenance is right around the corner.

In my eyes you have done a great job in the way you have handled it all. Your strength and courage through all this has been amazing.

Spring is right around the corner and i wanna go to swirls & scoops so katie can get chocolate ice cream all over her face!!!