We ended up back in the ER last night at 8pm. Kaitlyn did not have a temp and she was acting as healthy as can be when the oncologist called to let us know that the blood cultures that they took in the ER the night before were growing a staph bacteria and that we needed to bring Kaitlyn back to the hospital immediately for stronger antibiotics. We were in the middle of dinner when we got the call so Mike & I had to jump up, pack our bags and scoff down the rest of our food. We were running around the house and stopping every few minutes to take another bite of our dinner, which Mike had just picked up from Cancun's. So, it wasn't going to waste :-) All the while, Kaitlyn sat at the table eating her chicken nuggets and wondering what the hell her crazy parents were doing. She kept asking, "Wha chu doing?" lol When we told her we had to go to the hospital again, she replied, "Oh, you packing?" Yes, Kaitlyn, we have to finish packing. "Oh, me help too" And she hopped off her chair and started putting things in her suitcase. Unfortunately, I think she is getting used to "the drill" and just as unfortunately, so are we.
Back in the ER, they took her temp again and it was normal. They drew some more blood and we waited to be admitted. While we waited, Kaitlyn sang and danced to her new favorite act - THE WIGGLES! From looking at her, you would never know she was sick. We were finally brought up to our room about 11pm where we all crashed for the night almost immediately.
Her bloodwork is all looking good - her ANC count is now about 1300 so she is not considered neutropenic. But, now they are concerned because her liver enzymes are through the roof and they don't know why. It could be a side-effect of the chemo or some kind of virus in her liver like Hepatitis B. They have to run some tests to determine what is going on. The chemo that she received last Thursday can cause the rise in liver enzymes, but the doctor said that she is definitely on the high end of the spectrum. So, the concern is this...Last Thursday, she received a drug called Methotrexate and it was administered in a small dose into her spine. If it is determined that her liver enzymes are elevated from the small dose Methotrexate, what will a high dose of the same drug do to her liver? She was scheduled for a high dose tomorrow. They are going to delay Phase II of her treatment plan for at least a day to see what her liver enzymes look like tomorrow and make a determination on the next step after that.
It seems like one thing after another. All I want to do is celebrate the fact that she made it into remission and now we are worried about staph bacteria and liver disease??? I am completely exhausted right now and all I want to do is go to sleep and wake up to find that this has all been a bad dream. But, I know that isn't going to happen. I really can't believe how much our lives have changed in such a short time. And I never really think about it until we get the chance to have a playdate with one of Kaitlyn's friends. When I see "normal" people again, I sit and reflect on how simple things used to be. How a day at the park was a common occurrence and now it has to be carefully thought out and her bloodwork has to be at the right levels. So, we haven't been to the park in about 2 months. We haven't done a lot of things in about 2 months.
Most days, I feel like a zombie. I get up and just do whatever I am supposed to do that day for Kaitlyn's treatment plan. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining because I will do whatever it takes. But, I just can't believe that I used to complain, when things were so much easier.
If you are reading this, do me a favor...If you have kids, go to them (or call them) and tell them how much you love them. Give them the biggest hug and kiss you have to give. If you don't have kids, tell your spouse how much they mean to you. Call your mom, dad, grandparents...anyone that means something to you and let them know what they mean to you. Sometimes we just go from day to day doing our "everyday business" and we forget to tell these people how much we really do love them. If this experience has taught me anything it is how important it is to stop and take a breath. Don't sweat the small stuff because it really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. What does matter is love and those that we share that love with. So - GO - Stop sitting at your computer and GO!!! Don't let another day go by without saying something to those people in your life.
GLC Holiday Party
14 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment