Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Over Another Hurdle

The countdown clock just went under the 170 day mark and Katie just SWALLOWED her first chemo pill.

Up to this point, I have been crushing her pills and dissolving them in water. But, this afternoon, I took some time teaching her how to swallow pills. We used mini m&m's to simulate the "pill". After a couple of tries, she got it, no problem. I was amazed because I couldn't swallow pills until I was like 18 years old...lol.

This is SUCH a big deal for a couple of reasons:
1) it will save time
2) I can be sure that she is actually getting all the medicine she is supposed to get instead of worrying about the residue that is left behind in the cup or syringe when using the previous method (crushing & dissolving)

The real test will be on Thursday nights when she has like 15 pills to swallow...we'll see what happens!!!

2 comments:

Ali said...

hmmm, 4 year-old swallowing pills. Seems a little scary to me. But I suppose not as scary as all the other things all of you have had to endure. I always thought you were stronger than me anyway. 15 pills—wow that's a LOT. Hope Katie is able to get them all down piece of cake!

Michele said...

Great job Katie!!!!!