Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Sunday, April 18, 2010

What is Letterboxing?

From the Letterboxing website, LETTERBOXING is defined as "an intriguing pastime combining navigational skills and rubber stamp artistry in a charming "treasure hunt" style outdoor quest."

For some unexplained reason I dreamt about this interesting hobby the other night and it seemed like Katie & I were having a blast. So, the next day (Friday), we went to the store to pick out our rubber stamps. (By the way...it looks like Michaels is clearing out their rubber stamping section...anyone have any info about this?)

After telling Mike about it, he seemed interested too. So, today, we went and got him his own rubber stamp and then we were off to find our first letterbox.

For our first one, we chose a very familiar location - Dean Park. The weather was overcast and rainy, but we figured we would give it a try anyway.

My dad and Norman joined us on our first adventure.
After a short walk, Katie spotted our first letterbox.

Inside we found a hand made stamp and booklet.
We stamped their book with our stamps and stamped our books with their stamp.

We learned a few good lessons on this first adventure:
1) Bring some wipes or something to clean off the stamps and your hands after your done stamping.
2) Put your rubber stamps in a plastic bag so that the ink doesn't get all over everything.
3) Take your child to the potty BEFORE you get into the woods :-)

After we were done, Katie kept asking, "Is it over?" and when I told her it was over, she replied, "I want to do another one, A LONGER ONE!" So, I think she enjoyed herself :-)

2 comments:

Kristin said...

This is so cool! Supposedly there is one along the Blackstone Walking Trail. Perhaps we will try "walking group letterboxing" in the future... You said you took your own book to stamp - did you make a "scrapbooking style" one? Will you share?

Michele said...

Oh cool! I have never heard of this, only about geocaching. So that is great!