Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Monday, December 13, 2010

One step forward, ten steps back...

The addition was moving along rather smoothly until yesterday.

Let's start with the good...last weekend (12/4 & 12/5), the new roof went on the house, which was VERY exciting to see the project start to come together. There was a crew of 6 guys working as hard as they could both Saturday and Sunday.

Neither Mike nor I had envisioned the house being this BIG. I do feel a little bad for the neighbors because I think we are the only ones who can see the lake now...lol.

Our builder told us that he would have part of the crew removing the old roof while the other guys are building the new roof. Yeah, that didn't happen. He said he left the old roof on in an attempt to limit our exposure to "the elements".

By the end of the weekend, the structure was up, but there was still some plywood that needed to be put on.

Part of the crew came back this past Saturday (12/11) to finish putting on the plywood. That was really all they could do because the building inspector needs to come back and count the nails in the plywood before any paper can go on the walls or shingles on the roof. However, they did start shingling a small portion of the back in hopes that the building inspector doesn't really want to go on the roof to count nails.

So, now on to the bad...yesterday we had a really bad rain storm. We have 2 roofs, but neither of them are waterproof and couldn't protect us from the amount of water being dumped on us. We had leaks EVERYWHERE...Some of the rooms I wasn't really that I was worried about because they are in the renovation plans. But, now we also have water damage in the part of the house that wasn't in the plan... the kitchen, living room and even our brand new sunroom all have walls & ceilings that will need to be replaced. On top of that, I ruined all my bowls & towels just trying to contain the mess. The room that had the most leaks...happened to contain all my completed scrapbooks, all my scrapbooking stuff and most of our electronics!!! We got everything out of that room as quickly as we could and luckily nothing was ruined in the process.

We called our builder early last night to let him know about the situation and he said that there was nothing he could do until the morning. So, Mike & my dad were out in the rain for many hours trying to figure out a solution. They got it slowed down, but the leaks continued through the night.

The builder was here first thing this morning and didn't even want to come into the house. He felt horrible and noted that he would get the insurance company over here and he would "make it right".

Well, that is all well and good, but Christmas is coming in 12 DAYS and my house looks like an episode of "Hoarders"!!!!!! There is water damage in every room, boxes piled in every space that wasn't taking on water and I am not moving them until the roof is water tight. On top of that, in order to "make it right", he is now going to have to demo the WHOLE house instead of 3 rooms. I am just beside myself right now...I really am.

No comments: