Treatment may have ended for Katie, but the battle is far from over.

Please say a prayer for all the children who continue to fight childhood cancer day after day.
Pray for their strength, resilience and healing.



TO MY DEDICATED BLOG READERS:

YUP, I AM BEHIND AGAIN....



Sunday, September 26, 2010

UMass Walk to Cure Cancer

When I woke up this morning, I was so sore from being on my feet all day yesterday at Katie's Lemonade Stand. I debated, briefly, about whether or not I wanted to walk today at the UMass Walk to Cure Cancer. But, then I thought about all the people who are fighting cancer TODAY and how harsh the treatment is on their bodies. They don't get to choose whether or not to FIGHT today. So, I decided neither did I. I got up without another thought and went to the walk.

We participated in the 12th Annual UMass Walk to Cure Cancer with an estimated crowd of 14,000 walkers. The Walk to Cure Cancer is the largest, single-day fundraising event in Central Massachusetts. Funds raised benefit cancer research, equipment, facilities and world-renowned medical professionals at the UMass Memorial Cancer Center of Excellence.

To date, the five mile walk-a-thon has raised over $6 million enabling life saving research and bringing us one step closer to finding a cure.



DoDo helped out in the kids tent, making balloon animals all day long. Katie & I walked as part of the Pediatric Dream Team.
Katie was so cute...she HAD to stand in the line to get a balloon animal from DoDo....lol. When she finally got to the front of the line, she asked DoDo to make the hardest balloon animal he knows...an Octopus. Then, later as we were about to head out for our five mile walk, she told me that she didn't want to hold it...lol. So, we had to run it to the car real quick before the walk. Thanks DoDo!

My little Hero!

The Pedi Dream Team was made up of some of the Pediatric Oncology staff at UMass, their families and families, like ours, touched by cancer. We were proud to walk with them. My friend Shelly & her daughter, Maggie, also joined us for the walk.

Katie started out strong, walking hand in hand with her buddy Maggie. So cute!

This was a five mile walk around Lake Quinsigamond. Here we are at the start of mile 3.
When we started out, I thought we might be calling DoDo to come and pick us up about 1/2 way around the lake. But, surprisingly, the walk went by pretty fast...probably because we chatted the whole time...lol. When we got back, DoDo was STILL making balloon animals for the kiddos.

After 2 days of fundraising, walking and making balloon animals, Mike & I were exhausted. But, it was all worth it and I would do it all again...WILL do it again...RELAY FOR LIFE is just around the corner!!!
Thanks to everyone that donated and joined us at Katie's Lemonade Stand!!! Together we will FIGHT!

No comments: